If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Intellectual Revolution

I've done a 'ministry personality' type quiz a couple of times. The basic principle was to find out what style of outreach and ministry you have a tendency toward.

Surprise surprise... I tend toward the intellectual. I love to debate, discuss, argue and exegete. And I acknowledge that this is a useful sort of preference, or gift, to have. It is, however, a very easy one to misuse... as centuries of christian in-fighting has proven. It used to be very easy for me to get caught up in debates about theoretical principles, theological hairsplitting, and discussions of what 'the establishment' is currently doing wrong.

I've noticed God changing that in me. Not changing my basic preferences, but in making my heart uneasy when my mind is wandering down unprofitable paths... when my pride in winning an argument is overwhelming my love for my 'opponent'. It's gotten to the point where I instinctively ask myself, "what am I going to do about it?"

Of course, that question does little good if it isn't answered... and the answer does little good unless it's put into practice. That's my current challenge. Unless I actually do whatever it is God wants me to do, then all my talking, debating, questioning and resolving is near-useless.

And here's the article which sparked my train of thought: A New Day - Make It So by John McAllister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home