If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Prayer Day Update

Our Prayer Day is finished!

Well, in one sense, anyway. I suspect the reverberations will be felt for a long time. I certainly hope so!

What happened? Well, people prayed, and they listened out for whatever God might have to say to them. The messages we got seemed to fall into three basic themes:
  • Pray, listen and obey
  • Fix your eyes on the spiritual reality
  • Care for the 'huddled masses' (and no, it wasn't me who brought that one)
It's eerie and exciting to feel God moving in such an obvious - to me - way in our church. It's humbling to realise that God wants to use me and people I know to do mighty things.

So what exactly do I think God is planning to do? Well, here's the clues I've gathered so far. I bet they're no surprise to regular readers of this blog.

First, he's prodding everyone to pray. At least half of our church is praying a lot more than they were when they joined the church. I'm a good example. Even though I hopped on the bandwagon late (this prayer 'movement' has been building for years), I'm noticing a definite intensity happening lately, and not just for me.

Second, he seems to be moving us toward the old, primary mission of the Salvation Army... to reach out to the poor, the brokenhearted, the unmentionables and invisible of this world. To go where 'good christians' never tread. Our prayer group (the inter-corps one that meets in the 'dodgy' inner city area) met in a pub last week, and we were smiling about the feeling of unfamiliarity that came from 'good Salvationists' meeting in a pub. Would William Booth be tearing his hair out at the thought?

PS. Is 'inter-corps' a word?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home