If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

PRAYER DAY!!!

Our corps is holding our Prayer Day this Sunday. It's along the lines of 24/7 Prayer, with a roster for continual prayer across the corps, but with some modifications. Because we're a small corps with no building of our own, it's a 'wherever you happen to be' 6 hours of prayer, rather than the traditional weekend or week (or year, for the extremists!). But so that we're open to the possibility of God working 'prayer room style', my husband and I have opened our lounge (and kitchen, by default) to the Prayer Day... anyone who wants, can come over to our place and pray. I felt as though it was important to have a 'centre' of prayer... maybe I've just been reading Red Moon Rising too much, maybe God was actually prompting me. Sometimes I have trouble telling apart my weird ideas and God's fantastic ones.

I'm really excited about this Prayer Day. As I've shared before (I think), I never was one to get particularly enthused about prayer. But at prayer group tonight (in the dodgy area of town, with some SA people who work in the youth services and the drug rehab centre), it occurred to me that prayer group always provides ME with more focus and perspective on life - and relaxes the tension and depression that threatens to take me over, at times. I am addicted to this prayer group already, after a measly three weeks. Love it. And the Prayer Day is like that too - I have high expectations of what God's going to do. Note, I have very little idea what God is going to do... I just know that if people open their hearts to him, he transforms those hearts... and often in amazing ways!

So... any ideas of things we can do to make the temporary Prayer Room more conducive to prayer? We have coloured sheets of paper and sparkly pens... hmmm it doesn't sound very impressive, does it? I was thinking of printing out some news items so that people could pray over them... maybe some news photos too? And I'm thinking that emailing around church and friends/family for prayer requests, and putting them up on the wall might be good too. ALL ideas will be considered!

I hope people decide to come over here to fill their prayer slot. I would love to see people over here praying in our lounge room. Maybe it can be more than just a temporary Prayer Room.

Abba, may your will be done this weekend. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Strangely enough, considering how blown away I was when I read it, a theological-ish issue seems rather anti-climactic after that discussion! But I have to mention that Stephen Court over at Army Barmy Blog has written a breathtaking summary of a talk by Major Richard Munn at the War College - I would've loved to be there for the whole talk!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

One of the things that helps me most is to be able to kneel comfortably, (at 48, my knees are shot from pushing a double buggy laden with kids and shopping!) so I have kneelers comfortable enough to stay on for a while, and bean bags. And keep the heating down or sleep comes..! Beyond that, all I use with the children is a single candle, a picture of Christ or a scene from the gospels, and a low light so I can see a song book and bible.... total bliss. The kids love it, and come and sit for hours, even at 9 and 11yrs. Don't underestimate the power of children praying - the Father loves it! Any other symbols are kept very simple, bread, water, 'wine', a jug, an empty bowl, a towel. People don't need a room filled with written words - it can be distracting. Perhaps keep a place for that, but don't necessarily make it centre stage. Every blessing, Lana Rosen

4:49 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home