If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Seeking God

WHY is it so hard to continually seek God?

What is it about me that prefers the dull anasthetic of television or computer games to the exhilaration of sitting down with my husband and talking to our spiritual Father?

It does feel good to offload stuff at God's feet, then sit on his lap and soak up his love. So WHY is it so hard for me to get around to actually doing it?

As I type this, the book of Genesis comes to mind. I guess God is trying to tell me that this is in no way a new, unique problem. Adam and Eve realised they were naked, and hid from God. Is it shame that keeps me away from my Father - knowing that I've stuffed up, and he knows it? Is it the knowledge that I'm naked before him, and a desire to cover myself up, and stay clear for a while? Sounds like a kitten trying to cover up on lino, doesn't it?

Something I read in another Salvationist blog got me thinking about seeking God in his 'dwelling place'. It must have been an indirect prod down a rambling thought process, because going back I can't work out what I read, let alone who wrote it. Apologies to whoever sent me thinking down that path, I would've loved to acknowledge it!

Anyway, I looked up 'dwelling place' on BibleGateway and came up with this:

from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth-
he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.
Psalm 33:14-15

I was thinking along those lines and pondering the idea that God's dwelling place is in our hearts. So in one sense, when we seek out God, we look inside ourselves. I guess it makes sense, at that point, to talk to God about how he's finding his quarters, and what he thinks of the latest renovations. How about the view out the window? As he sees the world pass by my heart, does he see good scenes or bad? Is he seeing the sick healed, or the poor helped? Is he seeing my husband torn down and left in rubble, or built up and encouraged?

Hmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home