If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Monday, September 26, 2005

My Vision

I've said before that I sometimes have a hard time working out if something is God talking to me, or my own personal desire (pride, etc). Generally I work it out based on these points:
  • Is it something I really want to do? (if the answer's no, it's probably God talking)
  • Is it biblical?
A couple of years ago, I had a 'vision' which God seems to be reminding me about recently - a lot. It wasn't a bonafide vision, unless you count pondering on an idea until I can see it in my mind's eye, a vision! I felt a prod to tell the prayer group about it last week, and I was encouraged by their responses - it seems to fit in with what God's showing to the others.

So, the 'vision'. It's fairly simple, really... a prayer tent at the markets in the suburb where we hold our prayer meeting. Somewhere that people can come in, sit down, maybe have a cuppa, talk to someone and receive prayer. Now that I write it down, it seems incredibly simple. I've got a couple of reasons for thinking that it's God-inspired:
  • I'm not inclined to come up with simple ideas. Mine are generally complex and highly decorated!
  • It's hung around in my head and our church for 2 years now. I have a short attention span.
I think it could be a great way to meet people in the neighbourhood and get them talking to our Dad. It's not intrusive, but it's very direct at the same time. Hmmmm.

It occurs to me to wonder why I'm putting it up on the web. Well, 'I felt God telling me to' is fairly accurate, BUT I'm always wary of making factual statements about what God wants - unless it's clearly biblical. So, the other answer is, 'I want to see what happens'.

If you pray about this and think God's saying we should go for it, I want to hear about it! If you read this blog entry and think God's telling you to implement it in your own community, I'd love to hear about that, too. And if God's saying to you right now, 'that's her own pride talking!' ... please, please tell me about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home