If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Pseudonym

It occurred to me that I really should let y'all know something about me...

Evangeline is a pseudonym. This isn't a deliberate deception, by the way. I assumed people would look at the name, look at the 'first-generation Salvationist' bit in my profile, and click that it wasn't my real name!

I feel a bit strange calling it a 'pseudonym', though. To me, a 'pseudonym' is simply an assumed name used for the purposes of disguise, whereas 'Evangeline' has more meaning for me. First of all, there's the actual meaning of the name - "Good News". I'm not sure that I'm good news, but I certainly have good news to share!

Secondly, the name has more significance for me after reading a little about the life of Evangeline Booth... and of course our own Eva Burrows, for whom I harbour a quite a bit of affection, despite not knowing her personally. The best analogy I can think of is a woman assuming the name of a saint when she takes her vows and becomes a nun. She takes the name of a human being whose spiritual example she'd like to follow. And while both Evangeline and Eva would doubtless be horrified at the idea, they're the closest to female saints I think the Salvation Army has - in the sense of high-profile Christian women whose devotion to God and exploits are seen as good examples to follow.

Whew... I'll leave that interdenominational, quasi-heretical concept alone now, I think! Anyway, my real name is Naomi. Call me whichever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home