If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Coffee and Hope

I repeated yesterday's experiment and went for coffee again. And I discovered the strangest thing... community felt very close and easy to foster. A couple of guys at the next table said hello as I sat down, and we chatted a bit before they got back to their own conversation. People rushing for buses caught my eye and smiled back.

It's not always that easy. Not only that, the novelty of going somewhere and doing something different will wear off when I start seeing the ugly and just boring face of things. But for now, after the sorrow of last night, I feel the truth of the old Psalm -

weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:5b


Anyway, lest you think I turned all sentimental and smushy, let me go on...

I found a picture today that spoke to me. It was taken in the suburb that I've been talking about so much. I couldn't find any copyright information or contact details for the person who took the photo, so I'll include the site I found it on, and the photographer's name as given on that site.

It's from Images of Brisbane, and is attributed to Karen Milder.

Something I've worked out this week - I'm not very good at balance. I need to make sure I'm working on my marriage, too. No, it's not in crisis... I'm just getting a little unbalanced. It's like juggling. I'm OK when I've got two items to juggle. But it's boring. So I add more items, and it's exciting... and difficult.

1 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

Wow, that picture is stunning. Cudos to the photographer.
I know what you mean about the juggling. Sometimes it feels as though you are juggling with bricks not just balls. Each one would be heavy enough on its own, let alone with 6-7 others,

Cheers,

1:55 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home