If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Urban Army (no, not Gordon's blog!)

I just came across this article - Urban Army, by Major Grant Sandercock-Brown. Here are some quotes that really hit home to me:

I have said to myself too many times, ‘after all, the comfortable middle class needs saving as well’. It’s much easier for me to hang out with people like me.

The Salvation Army makes little sense in the suburbs; we make perfect sense in the heart of the city.

(Although I'd argue that in Australia, the 'suburbs' are where a lot of the poorer, 'lower'-class people live)
...we become a comfortable Christian club where Jesus and William (in either order) were our founders and we meet together to enjoy some of the activities (particularly musical) they started.

“They dine with the rich and preach to the poor. Until they are more willing to dine with the poor and preach to the rich its [the church’s] popular influence will be limited.”


As I wrote (well, mostly cut and pasted!) the above, I finally noticed what's playing in my ears...
End - your dreamworld is just about to end
Fall - your dreamworld is just about to fall
Your dreamworld will fall

Hmmmm... prophetic word through Midnight Oil? Stranger things have happened, I guess!

1 Comments:

Blogger Short Stories said...

Yes, you had the midnigh oil going all right!

Melissa K.

9:14 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home